We are seeing a lot of people in the cold and flu sections of our stores right now. In addition to the wonderful syrups, sprays, and lozenges made by companies we love and trust, here are a few homemade remedies I use when my throat is scratchy and my nose is running.
- Lemon, Ginger, Honey and Hot Water. This mixture is simple and soothing. Simply peel one generous nub of ginger (removing the outer skin). Slice the ginger into dime size pieces, add the fresh juice of one or two lemons to taste. Add more for more tartness and less if you are sensitive to sour. Simmer the ginger, lemon and 12 ounces of water until it is warm enough to melt honey. Add honey to taste.
- Turmeric, Ginger, Water and Apple Cider Vinegar: I love this blend for a little shot of repair after a long night of coughing. The repeated hacking sometimes gives me a headache. When that happens, a shot of this drink seems to wipe away the pain. Perhaps it’s the anti-inflammatory properties of the turmeric. Or maybe it’s the zing of the cider vinegar and heat of the ginger. Whatever, the case, I highly recommend this mixture. Simply peel and slice approximately one cup of each root, add it to water and boil. Once the liquid has cooled, transfer it to a glass bottle (I re-use the Straus gallon size milk containers) and add one cup of apple cider vinegar. Gently shake the mixture and store it in a cool, dark place. I put ours in the fridge to avoid oxidation. When I need a shot, I simply pour a glass over a strainer (to keep out the roots) and add a little hot water to warm it up.
- Broth. If you don’t have time to make your own, try one of the long-simmered broths we sell in the frozen section or in our refrigerated area near the deli meats. A little broth with some cooked rice can make for a wonderfully soothing and light meal. Add tofu or cooked chicken (perhaps our rotisserie chicken?), scallions and cabbage if you’d like to bulk up the contents.
- Soak in an Epsom salt bath. The wonders of Epsom salt have been touted for hundreds of years. It is said to hold beneficial properties that can soothe the body, mind, and soul. The brand of Epsom salt we sell in our stores is from Salt Works and is known for its exceptional purity and therapeutic value. Ultra (a word used on their packaging) Epsom is high-quality pharmaceutical-grade Epsom salt. It dissolves easily, perfect for soothing sore muscles, relaxing soaks, and calming foot baths. The molecular structure of Magnesium (one of the minerals found in Epsom salt) is easily absorbed into the body through the skin. Thus, a bath is a wonderful way to incorporate this mineral into your life. It can be incredibly relaxing and invigorating. The magnesium may also help with the body aches associated with colds and cases of flu. Magnesium is a central building block for life on earth. It’s the organizing atom in chlorophyll, converting sunlight to energy in plants. In the human body, magnesium is present in over 300 enzyme systems, regulating blood pressure, synthesizing proteins, and monitoring muscle and nerve functions. By incorporating Magnesium into your wellness routine you may experience alleviation of all kinds of ailments including muscle pain, chronic pain, insomnia, and skin conditions like eczema and psoriasis.
- Elderberry Lozenges or Syrup: Elderberry is said to alleviate allergies, boost the immune system, protect against bacteria and infection, lower blood sugar, aid the digestive process, and generally boost wellbeing. What’s more, it tastes great so it’s easy to enjoy. We have lozenges and syrups. Come have a look at our selection to find the best selection for your needs.