If you are anything like me and you love crunchy, crispy, salty snacks, I invite you to try this delicious (and simple) recipe using kohlrabi!
Kohlrabi is one of the most underrated and forgotten vegetables in our winter produce line up. It is a cultivar of cabbage and is part root, part leafy greens. The root part can be eaten raw (think slaw) or cooked. The greens can be used as you would kale, collards or other winter greens. With so much versatility, it’s a wonder this root doesn’t get more love. Perhaps the recipe below will help to change all that!
Savory Kohlrabi Crisps
- 3 bulbs of kohlrabi (select those with unblemished leaves and bulbs that are not cracked)
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- Salt (to taste)
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees
- Peel the kohlrabi, taking off a significant portion of the outer layer. You want to remove the layer that looks fibrous as this will not soften and will remain stringy and unpleasant to eat. The inner core is where you will find the sweet “meat” of the plant. Save greens for another use.
- Once peeled, cut the bulb into ½ inch round lices to resemble chips.
- Toss the sliced kohlrabi in a bowl with 1/4 cup olive oil and 1 tsp of salt.
- Once coated (and glistening), place one layer of the kohlrabi on a sheet tray lined with a non-stick sheet (like this Silpat sheet) or coat the bottom of your sheet tray with cooking oil. Tip: the Silpat is less likely to stick to the veggie chips.
- Mix the kohlrabi around and rotate the tray every 15 to 20 minutes in order to cook each piece evenly.
- The total cooking time will range between 30 minutes and one hour depending on your oven and the size of your kohlrabi slices.
- The end result should be golden, chip-like crisps.
- Once they are cooked, remove them from the oven, slide them off the hot tray and onto a plate with paper towel (or cloth) to soak up some of the oil and cool. Toss with salt (to taste) immediately so that it soaks in while the crisps are hot.
If you end up baking these at home, please feel free to share your results with us on Instagram @naturalgroceryco