We are still packaging everything in our Bulk Departments so that you may purchase the products you like without the plastic! The Natural Grocery Company is committed to using packaging that protects your food and does not contribute to more plastic waste. We use NatureFlex TM to pack all our Bulk Items. Our resilient workers at The Annex prepare these items for sale in our facility. Items are then transferred to our stores as needed. Thank you for your continued support!
Is it really possible to live without waste!?
We know that going Zero Waste can seem unattainable in today’s packaged world.
So, we’re listing eight ways to give it a try – why not give it a go?
1. Document your weekly waste – make a list, photograph it, whatever you need to do to understand your actual output.
2. Sort it – food packaging, household products, toiletries, etc. Slowly change one thing a week to reduce the waste in your largest category.
3. Do some research to find out what you can buy in bulk and where you can get necessary refills. Our store offers many bulk items including water!
4. Switch out your waste bins – create a small landfill bin and a large recycling bin. This will help set the stage for the right mindset.
5. Manage what comes into your home – What can you refuse? Receipts, business cards, leaflets etc. Consume less.
6. What can you reuse? The blank side of a paper can become drawing paper for your kids, as your shower is heating up, put a bucket underneath and use it to water your plants, the list goes on. If you have clever methods of reuse, please share them with us!
7. Choose compostable or reusable packaging and containers – e.g. our produce bags and to-go wares are biodegradable and can go straight into your food waste (compost) bin. You can find tin and glass containers at both our markets. Using your own containers and jars is a great way to limit the use of plastic bags for storage and packed meals.
8. What products can you make at home? Things like hummus are easy to make at home. It takes a little foresight to plan for the time. Decide what things are easy and enjoyable to make yourself and work it into your weekly schedule. In addition to cutting down on waste, you’ll probably save money!
Please share your Zero Waste tips with us on Twitter @natygroceryco or Instagram @naturalgroceryco with the hashtag #zerowaste